Thursday 25 August 2011

REVIVING MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES.......

Don't tell me that you haven't had a crush when you were 14 or 15. Well, I did.......I never did anything about it.......'coz personally I felt I was much too "cool" to fall for the emotion called "filmi-love" at that age. But, I did have my first ever crush and I never shared it with anyone. When I saw this new movie called BUBBLEGUM, I was pleasantly taken back to my teenage years when I used to think that I knew anything and everything in this world!



As the title suggests "bubblegum" lands the teenage protagonist in the eyes of his crush, soon to be "girl-friend"  and also the stickiest situations possible with his parents and friends. The movie is set in 1980's in Jamshedpur and is complete with the bell bottom pants and the oh- so popular "head full of hair"!!!



Meet Vedant, the "hero" of the movie, the 14 year old who sees his "First Love" in Jenny, the new neighbour and his "Rival" in Ratan who challenges him to make the girl fall for him and yup you guessed it, he is the "Villain".


This is Vidhur, Vedant's elder brother who studies away from him at a special school meant for deaf children and comes home to visit his family for the "Holi" hoidays. He is protected by his family and eventhough vedant loves him, finds it a burden to be the translator between his friends and his deaf brother and at times feels ashamed of his elder brother.



This is Ratan aka the Villain, who thinks of himself as Dharmendra but has all sorts of tricks up his sleeve that would put a 14 year old Gulshan Grover to shame!!! :) and yup he is also trying to get Jenny all for himself.


The lovely, warm hearted, good looking Jenny who knows that both the hero and villain are out to woo her. She has still not reached the "like" or "love" stage with either of them but sure has a soft corner for our hero.



And not to forget the loving parents caught up between all this, who finally understands that their elder son who lives away from them is actually world-wise and the son who is actually living with them cannot bear the realities of life. They also learn to be "friendly" with their boys which was quite an alien concept back in the 1980's.

This movie reminded me of my good old days when internet was not there and the only way you could actually send a message to another person was by being "mobile"!!!! This is not a children's movie, I am sure that everyone who watches the movie will be able to identify themselves. Having a fight with your friend was definitely the end of everything(atleast in our minds) and not getting the understanding parents whom we obviously deserved and it also depicts a time when one starts to see the opposite sex in a different way for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and would definitely recommend this to everyone. This takes you back to the old childhood days which we have definitely left behind but, can we ever forget those golden days.......nahhhhh I don't think so! :). 


3 comments:

Natasha said...

wow..That sounds like a good movie!Is it new? I have never heard of it..I remember my teenage crushes too and look back at them with fond memories :)

lifeontherocks said...

@natasha:-yup its new, I think it was released a month back or so :)

Chandana said...

Childhood crushes are fond memories and make for great topics during sleepovers!
I never heard of this movie... must give it a watch! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...